About CiNii Books
CiNii Books is a service that enables searching of information on books and journals that are held in university libraries in Japan.
It is possible to search for about 10 million titles held in 1200 university libraries (totaled over 100 million books), and about 1.5 million authors of these books that has been accumulated through the online cataloging system (NACSIS-CAT) which NII provides.
It is available for anyone without registering.
For more details on the usage, see CiNii Books Help.
*Numbers of records are the data as of April 2014
Features of CiNii Books
- CiNii Books contains wide variety of books - recent books, classics, foreign books, CD, DVD, etc.
- Users can check the list of libraries in Japan holding the books or journals they are searching for. It is possible to retrieve it by limiting specific areas and libraries.
- Directly linking to the OPAC (Online Public Access Catalog) page of university libraries from book or journal page enables users to search for the details such as whether it is available now.
- If these full texts are provided in CiNii Articles, users can follow the link to the full text documents.
- Offering Web APIs（Application Program Interface）are available from other systems and web services.
Data making of CiNii Books
The data which becomes the origin of CiNii Books is come from NACSIS-CAT/ILL (union catalog). Via NACSIS-CAT/ILL, university libraries and some other libraries are creating data through cooperative data entry (shared cataloging).
Member libraries of the NACSIS-CAT/ILL are registering data of holding books and journals into the database daily.
We update the data of CiNii Books at the time of closing time on Saturday in predawn on following Monday.